Saturday, June 19, 2010

Death by cornbread

Does anyone else ever worry that someday they will accidently overdose on cornbread? I do.  Cornbread is like a hidden time bomb of deliciousness. It sucks you in because it's mouth-watering and looks kind of cakey. You think - I can totally eat a huge bowl of soup and a massive wedge of corn bread cake. You pretend that you haven't been eating little pieces of cornbread while you are finishing off soup.  Then half an hour later you are moaning on the lounge telling your husband in all seriousness that you are going to die. You're so full your body surely can no longer take it. The polenta! It continues to expand after you eat it. You beg him to warn others about the dangers of cornbread - warn the children! He does not take you seriously.  THE GORGEOUS FOOL!  You start imagining your tombstone with warnings to all followed by the recipe. Because no one likes a recipe hoarder.



Alternatively, there is always the possibility that I used the wrong polenta.  The recipe calls for  instant polenta. My polenta doesn't say its instant and I get the feeling that it's 'quick' polenta not instant. Then the best answer  asks why use polenta at all? Because the recipe told me too!!!
I guess I'll just have to try again :D

2 comments:

  1. I too know the joys and dangers of polenta. From third degree burns up my arms from when it boils and spits, to the shoulder strain from stirring it so long, and the polenta baby that you speak of. It's hard work, but worth it. Polenta, natures yummiest grain. Have it soft like mash, baked and cheesy, fried like chips, baked in bread, as little muffins, or so much more. Versatile and solid gold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - you can try it like chips????? I think I will have to steal your polenta recipes as well.

    ReplyDelete